If you’re a small business or an individual in an Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment declared local government area, you don’t need to request a deferral for:
- individual income tax returns with an original due date of 31 October 2022, if you lodge by 31 January 2023
- monthly BAS with an original due date of 21 October, 21 November and 21 December 2022, if you lodge by 18 February 2023
- quarterly BAS with an original due date of 28 October and 25 November 2022, if you lodge by 18 February 2023.
You won’t be penalised if you lodge by the later date but remember to pay by the original due date. If you can’t pay by the due date, contact the ATO to discuss payment options and request a remission of general interest charge.
If you need help, even if you haven’t been directly affected by the floods, contact the ATO or your tax professional to discuss your circumstances.
The ATO may be able to:
- give you extra time to pay tax or lodge tax returns, activity statements or other obligations
- help you reconstruct lost or damaged tax records
- prioritise any refunds owed to you.
For free financial counselling support, you can phone the Small Business Debt Helpline on 1800 413 828 from 9.00 am to 5:30 pm AEST Monday to Friday.
Source: ATO Newsroom